Monday, June 22, 2009

El ultimo dia

Today is my last day in Central America and in the Latino American culture. After a rough time in Panama city I'm glad to be back with some Ticos and in a place that is a bit quieter than San Jose to just collect myself and feelings. I really have loved my time here. Everything has been such an experience and has added to my need to do something worthwhile in my life. Just learning about the countries in school you never really understand how different each is and what a different feeling you get just crossing a boarder. I only went to Costa Rica and Panama but both countries are immensely different and should never be mistaken for the other.

What I love about being here is that everyone is proud of who they are and what they are. Sometimes in the States you come across people who are not what they are or who they are and more often everyone looks to trends and whats popular to determine how they should act. Down here there is a universal culture that governs a lot of things which is nice. Each country has their own special events, dances and styles that separate them from others; but they are unified by language and being Latino.

I also have loved meeting so many different people. I'm super good at reading personalities and most of the people that I have met and will continue to keep in contact with have been amazing. I feel so humbled when I meet people and maybe my Spanish is better but then I realize that they speak English and their third language, French is their second, they normally speak Swiss-German but can switch to German is they need to. I definitely need to refresh my language skills. On the plus side I can understand most Spanish (Buenos Aries accent still is not very nice to me) and have had good hour long conversations. Win.

I'm really going to miss it here and the thought of looking for a job isn't that enticing to me but I now have a goal in mind for when I do have a job and my passion for wanting to help others hasn't been subsided.I'm only sad that everyone couldn't see this for themselves. I'll be home soon though and have some AMAZING pictures to show. To my family and friends I miss you all and can't wait for a trip down South where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment