Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Vagabonda

I've been away from Samara for a few days now and my heart is absolutely missing it. I guess the big reason is that I made such great friends there and now I miss them a lot. The other is that here in Bocas del Toro...life is very different. It's fun there are a lot of bars it's definitely more built up and stuff, and honestly reminds me of a beach town on the Jersey shore. Except for the fact there are locals just chillin outside most of the day. It's harder to speak Spanish here because they just answer you in English no matter if you asked in Spanish. It seems a bit cheaper and less authentic here as well. Just much more commercial.

I was speaking with a local from here who loves his home but it's upsetting watching the place you live and love turn into something you don't like. The culture here is still laid back and people are nice but it's a lot more in your face hustling and wanting your money then in Samara, even compared to Tamarindo. I like it it's different. The colonial and Caribbean styling of buildings are really pretty. It's all how you want to take it in although I couldn't see myself living here as I could in Samara. Though there were a lot of travelers most of them were in for a chill time and not partying every night like they do here. I'm not really into the whole "Spring Break" scene anymore and like to just walk around and chill on a dock.

The locals here are fun if not a bit more aggressive then Ticos...hard to believe but I guess they just see so many travelers that its become culture. People are more of the beach bum type here. Which is perfectly fine with me. I've learned some Panamanian slang which at the moment don't remember, so a lot of good that'll do me. But they're fun here and love to talk.

I'm also doing Scuba diving which for me is amazing. Yesterday I saw a shipwreck and a octopus...awesome! Its really fun and interesting all of the things you need to learn to be certified. I like it though as a swimmer its a totally different scene under the water than it is above. I'm so glad that I'm doing this. You meet so many people that are into diving it's a great community.

So I'll be here for a few more days then head out somewhere else. I'm thinking Panama City but honestly who knows, maybe I'll go back to Puerto Viejo in Costa Rica. Either way it's been wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment