Thursday, June 4, 2009

La clima, lugares, el partido y soy Tica

La clima, it's a cognate for climate. Apparently one of the downfalls of team U.S.A last night was that they weren't used to the disgustingly humid climate of Costa Rica. I guess it's the same as the Argentina game when they played Bolivia in a higher altitude. Personally I love it. It just makes you more chill. No need to walk fast and get all sweaty or if you do walk fast, prepare to be miserable.

Lugares, I'm in CR. I love it here. Yes, it's super expensive and in most places completely for tourists and you can see the wear its taking on the country. But, you need to see the beauty in everything. Even San Jose is dramatically and tragically beautiful. Most people I've spoken to hate it. It's dirty, and dangerous and just not where they want to be. Which is true but, most of the reason it is that way is because of them. Imagine giving a 5 year old $1000. Obviously they're not going to save it. They probably wont know what to do with it and buy whatever they think is fun. Same as with CR or even Asia. A generation or two ago the countries had nothing in the way of factories their culture was more authentic. Because of tourism and money corruption trickles down because it's human nature. You have to accept the whole country. Yes, Tamarindo isn't really CR but still beautiful in its own way. CR has been in the mainstream vacation for so long I think people forget that it has it's own culture and it's not American or European. Costa Ricans are different from their surrounding countries and their people. Come and have a good time but also realize that just partying and not actually getting into the culture or just speaking English and minimal Spanish wont get you to the real Costa Rica. Or any country for that matter. TO not be a tourist takes actual thinking and hard work. I'll get off my soap box now.

El partido, the U.S.A. soccer game against Costa Rica was pretty intense. Me and a few friends just went to a bar to watch. Of course I wanted the U.S. to do well. Sadly it wasn't the case. The styles of play were super different as I already knew. The climate took it's toll and some calls were a bit off. But it was exciting. Coastaricense love their country, as they should.

Soy Tica, alright people in CR call themselves Ticos. I think it has to do with the way you say CR fast, it sort of comes out that way. My skin is so dark right now that I get mistaken a lot until they see my face. Pretty much everyday it's been happening. Honestly I'm going to go to Panama and sound Tico too b/c they use a different sort of system for speaking., Always with third person singular, no one ever uses second person so it's very distinct. The accent and other words are different too. Spanish like Korean is just normal now. My friends and I were laughing that we can't remember if we spoke to someone in Spanish or English. Yea, we could be speaking more Spanish but we have our own language of Spanglish that is suiting us quite well.

Con gusto

No comments:

Post a Comment