Thursday, March 5, 2009

Economy Woes of the Jobless

Let's hear it for America's Sweetehearts But I must confess I'm in love with my own sins
Fall Out Boy, America's Suitehearts

So if you're an up to date person and have noticed that...the economy is bad, hopefully you're more aware of how much things are and being responsible. I speak a little hipocritically seeing that I still enjoy a well made outfit to the bargin brand (I haven't grown in height since high school, I'm a size 0 and probably will be the rest of my life. So when I buy clothes I buy them with the idea I'm buying this to wear for the long haul.) and will get a nice meal once a week. But I don't buy chachkis or as many beauty things as I did, and I'm really good with groceries as well.

It's a bit upsetting just a few years ago people my age were getting jobs with relative ease and spending money as if there were no end not caring about cost. I have read that there are people like that still out there, teenagers who don't realize the enormity of this situation. And they continue to spend, spend, spend. But sadly they'll learn one day.

The exchange rate is now $1 to $1.56 and in no way looking like it'll be changing anytime soon due to the fact the Korean government actually WANTS to keep the exchange rate low so as to get foreign investors and export goods cheaply. Which is stupid, and especially bad for all of the foreigners. But it is still a job and if you don't have one it's a good place to go to get experiance and make money, so long as you're smart about it.

I'm not in the states so I'm not sure how bad it is but, I do know a bunch of people who have jobs and who are getting new jobs or promotions, so yes, it's hard to get a job: I find though that if you're qualified for a job and not seeking a ridiculous starting salary the jobs are there. It seems to me that those who have graduated in the last few years are still living in the time of asking for big starting salaries and getting them. Which is a time gone by in this day and age.

Also, it seems that (not to boast or anything) but when I was laid off last year, I was still getting phone calls for interviews and had several job offers, so I feel it's also not that there are no jobs; the jobs are just going to the most qualified candidates. These companies are in a tight situation and can't afford to "groom" a new employee as much as they could in the past. Yes, good grades are important and in no way am I downplaying that. I'm simply saying that putting what you learned into action is now the most important aspect for employers. Those who have retained information and can put those skills into use. I'm mainly speaking for liberal arts educations, most of those in technical of specialized degreees such as engineering or the medical feild will always have jobs, because we'll always need them.

Bill Maher had a good visual of the housing situation on home values. There was another one but I forget what it was on. The point is, shouldn't someone have seen that...I don't know there was a ridiculous spike in housing value and it was too good tp be true??? I'm no expert but, it makes sense to me.

I guess that's all we can do right now, is stick to the things that makes sense. Take risks still yes, but be responsible for what you're doing. It's one thing to want to own a house or go on a trip, but it's an entirely different thing to take out a mortgage you can't afford or borrow money from someone to finance it.

No comments:

Post a Comment