Tuesday, February 3, 2009

When life hands you lemons...


When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

I was watching the UFC 94 welter weight championship between George St. Pierre and BJ Penn yesterday at the gym. The actual fight was Saturday, but we get sports a few days later here. For example, they just played the Super Bowl game yesterday as well. Anyway, GSP is a beast. One of the best, if not the best...considering he defended his championship I guess he is the best welter weight. That's besides the point I'm trying to make. BJ Penn was a much smaller than the GSP and had a huge disadvantage. Right from the get go GSP was dominating. It was a great fight. A lot of strategy was put into play, not just flying fists.

The point is, Penn never gave up. GSP won by technical knockout because the doctors declared him unfit to fight. He could have tapped out and he could have just been knocked out. But he wasn't he fought through until the end. I feel that it's a really great parallel to the state of the country right now. The economy is bad, people are down on their luck and no matter how hard they fight, people who are wealthy and financially stronger are winning. But that doesn't mean we give up. And that most definitely doesn't mean that we should keep fighting the same way. We need a new strategy. A new way of doing things. I feel that Obama will lead us in that direction. He's already shown how he is differing with the last administration by taking blame for his actions. I think we all need to take a step back, maybe work harder and smarter to turn not only ourselves but this country around.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, the GSP fight was especially fun with Korean men looking at me and wondering why I was so excited seeing they were watching the usual Korean reality comedies...random

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting blog, Tiffany, and I like your other one too. Thanks for finding my blog and I'll look forward to following you

    ReplyDelete